Sunday, November 11, 2012

What is my Chinese name again?


  Well this week I hope that my blog gives you a minute to take your mind off of the things that are happening back home.  So after this first paragraph, I promise not to talk about Elections, Taxes, Corruption, Global Warming, or The Ryder Cup(ouch!!!).  Being here we tend to get a little insulated from the minutia that is happening back home.  Even though we heard about the election and sent our votes in, we didn't have time to follow along and weren't bombarded by Fox, ABC, NBC or MSN.  So, we have heard who won and nothing has really changed in America politically.  Obama won, the House gained more seats and the Senate pretty much stayed the same.  So, what is different.  The status quo is the same.  I did hear that I am going to have to pay more taxes when I get home.  I heard that basically teachers voted to tax themselves more so that they can work.  Does that sound funny or is it just me.  I am going to pay money to the government so that I can keep working in order to pay for the tax to keep me working.  Hmmm!!!  I don't quite get that one.  I would love to have someone enlighten me on that one.  Wasn't the lottery supposed to take care of that a number of years back.  Sorry to hear about the Perfect Storm on the east coast.  The only thing about The Ryder Cup is that I don't have to hear about, or relive the pain every time I go to the golf course in Oakhurst.  I don't have people asking my opinion or for analysis here because nobody even watched the event.  The only jab I got was from Ian Poulter at the clinic for Claire.  He made a sly comment about it to the press and kids.  It didn't hurt anyone in the crowd except for me, since I was the only American on the entire golf course that day.  Stick the knife in and twist it Ian.  Even his caddy gave me a hard time.  Finally, about the corruption.  We know there is a lot of it in our politics back home, but here in China this last week they got a new President as well.  They don't go about it the same way as us obviously, but when the transition was made apparently the old president has been socking away US dollars for a rainy day.  That is a no no in China.  I think the only thing that happened to him was that he had to give one limo back.  Hmm.  Come to think about it, that does sound a little like back home.  Enough said, onto mindless things in China

TEACHING:  This week was a normal week in which I had the opportunity to teach regular classes and get back on track with the units I am working on with the kids.  Just in time for them to be gone for three days next week.  My ninth and tenth graders have China week.  They go on a three day field trip in which they do community service for a poor school and an elderly community.  They then go to a couple of museums and onto a fishing boat for a day.  They return on Friday.  So that leaves me with three days off in the middle of the week.  That would be great, if Cecelia and the girls didn't have to be at school or if Paul was back to go on a moto adventure with.  No, I am going to be in vacation purgatory.  Also, you might think "Oh I would love that", but on Saturday and Sunday I have to work at an I.B. Clinic all weekend.  Guess where the blog for next week is going to be written.  Anyway, I will come up with something to share during my time off.  Come on I already found King Cobras and a water buffalo didn't I?

ADVENTURES:  This week we didn't really have any great adventures so I decided I would share with you something that happened to Paul and I a little while ago.  Also, I am going to use this time to give you a slide show that shows a bit more pictures.
  Anyway, they have a tradition here of giving Chinese names to Expats(That's Us) while living here.  It is funny because they are allowed to choose their own English names, but we have to wait until we are given one by a Native Chinese person.  It can come to you from Chinese friends or acquintances.  Or in the case of Paul and I, it can be given spontaneously by someone you have just met.  So what happened was, we were riding the train back from Zhuhai and we met a couple of college students.  We struck up a conversation with them talking about America and various other subjects.  We shared with them about learning Mandarin and how difficult it is and they commented about how tough it was to learn English.  We had a few laughs together and then one of them asked us if we had been given Chinese names.  We said that we hadn't and they asked if they could give them to us.  Now you need to understand, Paul and I wanted to get Chinese names given to us and we thought that our students would give them to us after getting to know us better.  The Chinese name that you get is supposed be about who you are and not just on the fly, so you can understand why we were a little apprehensive.  Also, once you get your name you are supposed to keep it.  We had just met these college kids and they wanted to give us names?  Was this going to be a college prank and were we going to regret it.  Anyway, they put their heads together for a few minutes and then were ready to present us our new names.  I was first and no matter what it was going to be I was going to be polite even if my new name meant Buffaloes Ass or something like that.  Paul had told them about my buffalo encounter so I thought my new name might have something to do with that.  I would have been happy with a name like Dances With Wolves like Kevin Costner got in his movie. I was first, so I sat up straight and took my name like a man.  I was holding my breath and they said James, your Chinese name is Lou Si Wen.  When I heard them pronounce it the first time, I thought "Oh NO, not a girls name", but then they said it with slower pronunciation and I felt better.  When you sound it out it goes like this, Lo U Szi Wen.  I was even happier when they explained the meaning.  It means Gentleman.  I was so amazed at the chance encounter and the first impression that I made to merit such a honorable name.  I am proud of my name, so from now on please address me as Lou Si Wen, or Lou for short.  Oh by the way, I don't remember Paul's Chinese name but the meaning is Cute Squishy Fish or something like that.  It seems to fit him well though!!!!
  With such an uneventful week I decided that I would put a slide show together for you.  These are some of the pictures I have wanted to share, but haven't had the opportunity to, because of the lack of room in the other blogs.
  So enjoy the next few minutes and take your mind off of everything.  The pictures on the video are best viewed on a small screen.




2 comments:

  1. Rust & Cecelia, We think what you are doing is terrific. Immersing yourselves and your girls in another culture for a year. Fantastic! And thanks for sharing.

    Geoff & Josie

    p.s. It sounds like it is easier for you to get to a driving range than for me. There is only one that I know of in al of San Jose. So I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff,

    Thanks for commenting. I have followed in the footsteps of friends like you. I admired you for immersing yourself in Germany. I had always wanted to do something similar, so China is it. I know it is a little extreme, but I guess Florence will have to wait a few more years.
    As far as golf goes. Yes, while it is great to practice on the driving range, I cannot refine my game to get on The Champions tour unless I get on the golf course. Things do seem to be opening up on that front a little bit at a time.
    Anyway, say hello to your wife and I will talk with you again soon.

    ReplyDelete