Tuesday, April 16, 2013

You Know, It's The Simple Things Really!!!!


Now that is the way to think!!!!
 Hello Everyone.  I hope you all had a great week.  I want to thank all of you that sent me short notes of encouragement and prayer, after reading last week's blog.  I had a couple of people in particular that said the same thing that really helped.  Those two very wise individuals actually used the same word of encouragement, and that word was PERSPECTIVE!!!!  So with that being said, I come to you this week with that word blazoned on the forefront of my brain.  So enjoy this blog, because it is back to the perspective of why we came to China in the first place.

SCHOOL:  With my refreshed perspective on things, this week's school report is going to be short.  The only comment I am going to make is that after much reflection and soul searching, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't me that let the kids down, but the system of communication in which I work.  I have done the job that I was asked to do, it is just that I wasn't given all the information I needed at the beginning.  So, I fought back a bit this week and have gained a new PERSPECTIVE on what my role will be the rest of the year.  I am going to continue to do the best I can do in the current system, but not sweat the other stuff.  Also, for the rest of our time here, the school report is going to be very short unless something outstanding happens with one of the girls.  In no way am I going to let this incident tarnish the outstanding experience we have had in China.

ADVENTURES:  This week's adventures start with the little things.  What I mean is that to gain my rediscovered PERSPECTIVE I decided to focus on the small things that are around us that we really appreciate.  The first is of course, the massages. I have mentioned to you about them in past blogs and they are definitely worth mentioning again.  There is nothing better to help an attitude change than getting a 90 min. massage for  $40.
  The next thing to help change my attitude was getting a great haircut with a 20 minute scalp massage for $6. When they cut your hair over here, you get a shampoo and a scalp massage at the same time.  My scalp massage was so good that I almost fell asleep on the shampoo table.
  Finally, you can't beat simple individual dates with all of my best girls separately.
  I had lunch with Claire one rainy afternoon.  We donned the double poncho and rode the scooter to the new Italian restaurant nearby in the rain.  We had a great meal, some outstanding conversation and you just can't beat the price of eating out over here.  Our lunch cost around $12.  That included two calzones, broccoli, a plate of mozarella and tomatoes, and mushroom soup topped off with a beer and soda.
  The next day, Taylor and I went to Guangzhou and had a little get together while buying her some new tennis shoes.  After buying shoes and having an afternoon together we met Cecelia and Claire for dinner.  We all came to Guangzhou to meet my friend James that works for The First Tee of Contra Costa.  James lives part time in California and part time in China.  He owns a driving range and hotel in Shanghai so he has to come back periodically to check on things.  He also owns an import/export business that he runs in California.  It is amazing the emotions that you can have when seeing someone from back home.  It takes care of some of the home sickness that we have been experiencing lately, especially because of all the rain.  We had an outstanding dinner with him and really enjoyed the visit.  He and I planned to get together at least one more time before he goes home.
  Another thing that helped to change my attitude was driving by the park on the way home Saturday evening.  The evening was very pleasant.  One of the few nights without drizzle or rain.  The community was very active and there were a lot of people dancing in the park.  I observed the typical line dancing that goes on regularly, but there was also a group of people doing ballroom dancing.  They were all very good and really looked like they were enjoying themselves.  It was nice to see the smiles and hear the laughter in the warm air.
Confucius - " Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
  Finally my awesome week of new PERSPECTIVE ended with a date to Guangzhou and the Cheng Family Temple in Foshan with just Cecelia.  We were originally going to take the entire family, but Claire had fallen down the stairs a couple of days before and twisted her ankle.  She felt like it was too tender to be doing any walking adventures, and Taylor decided that she wanted to stay home with her sister.  That left Cecelia and I to ourselves.  We had our friend Sam drive us to the Temple and drop us off.
  The Cheng Family Temple is one of two famous residences that this family lived and functioned in during some of the Chinese dynasties.  The first residence is in Guangzhou and is now the Art academy that I shared with you a few blogs back.  This residence is actually a school, temple and residence.  To our surprise we learned that this residence was the main home of a man identified as IP Man.  Now you may not recognize the name but this man has had a huge impact on the world as we know it.  We were amazed to discover that in this residence, in a place most of us have never heard about in China, was the father of modern day martial arts and Kung Fu.  Because of IP Man, we have been exposed in movies to great martial arts icons like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.  Both men had been trained or worked either, with or in one of IP Man's martial arts schools.  It was very interesting to see all of the training weapons, old videos and court yard in which school was held.  The other cool thing was to see the way the residence was laid out with the martial arts school on one side.  The Confucius learning Garden was opposite the martial arts school and the religious temple was placed in between.  You could tell that it was designed in a way to create balance in the lives of the students.
  After visiting the temple we rode the metro into Guangzhou and did some shopping before we headed back home.
  So, the day was beautiful and I was with a stunning woman discovering more of China.  I couldn't have asked for a better way to regain my PERSPECTIVE. 
   Finally, how could I not get back to a great frame of mind with the greatest golf tournament in the world going on during the weekend, The MASTERS!!!!  I had to get up very early to watch the back nine, but it was totally worth it. 
  It really is the simple things that we need to focus on to get back to where God wants us.  Until next week, enjoy the photos and the slideshow.
  Here is the new link to go to the slideshow:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7749A94CA3CEB724!114&authkey=!ALHb3_RJfL9gyEQ


No comments:

Post a Comment