Thursday, August 15, 2013

Finally It Feels Like Home!!!!

The newest addition to the family
  Hello to all.  This week helped us to feel like we are finally getting back to normal, that is if you can ever call our normal lives normal.

SCHOOL:  Cecelia and I began the process of going back to school and preparing for the upcoming year.  Usually as a high school teacher I don't make my way back to campus until the week before, but this year is different.  I have a couple of new subjects and instead of one classroom to get ready, I have two.  The reason I have two is because I am teaching math, which is typical for me, and I am teaching a class called E.A.S.T..  Before your imagination runs wild with the E.A.S.T. acronym, it is not an on campus covert spy operation.  The acronym means Environmental and Spacial Technology.  The class is basically an open technology class in which students use their talents to do projects for non profits and community activities.  I am really excited about teaching this class.  It is the kind of class that allows my creative and entrepreneureal juices to flow together.
The girls and their new dog
  Cecelia is not sure what she will be teaching.  She is either going to be teaching a 4/5 combo class or just a class of fifth graders.  She is hoping for the latter.  So far she had made it as far as cleaning out her classroom.  This next week will focus on decorating and curriculum.
  Enough about school.

ADVENTURES:  The week started off with us having a surprise guest.  As I was sitting down to have a cup of coffee and peruse my email and various social media sites, I heard a big commotion in the horse corral.  So, I ran down to investigate.  Sometimes we have coyotes that come and cause trouble with the horses so I expected to just chase them off as usual.  When I arrived at the corral the horses were there and then to my surprise there was a baby fawn as well.  Apparently the coyotes were trying to get the fawn and the horses protected it.  As I approached the corral the horses came up to me and to my amazement so did the fawn.  I petted the horses and then reach down to see if I could pet the fawn.  Not only could I pet it, but it came up and began sucking on my fingers.  At this point I began looking around to see if the mom was anywhere.  I could not find her so I picked the fawn up and took it up to the house.  I was concerned that the coyotes were lurking nearby and I didn't want to give them an easy meal.


Now this is the way to Party!!!!!
The rest of the week we spent getting ready for our party on Saturday.
   At our home we have created an atmosphere that is open and spacious.  So after spending the last three weeks cleaning and fixing, the way we like to celebrate is with an Open House Party.  The party this week was for all of our friends that wanted to come and hang out to either learn about China or to just have some Thai food.  It wasn't all Thai food, Taylor made home bouza's and a number of friends brought a variety of different foods.  We had a wonderful time and it was great just hanging out with some of our friends that we had not seen since our return.
  A really big bonus to the week and to the party was the family that came and stayed in the Caboose.  They were the Baily family from Riverside.  When they arrived, we introduced ourselves and immediately the kids hit it off and we shared stories like we were old friends.  Now the real ironic thing about this family is that not only do they have two blonde daughters, (Julia and Elizabeth) but the parents were also school teachers.  Now that might seem like a big deal to most people, but the eerie thing is that the husbands name is Rusty and he was a high school teacher and coach.  His wife Judy (You thought I was going to say Cecelia didn't you?) was an elementary and jr. high teacher as well.  They are no longer teachers because Rusty has moved onto other interesting areas, namely being the new Mayor of Riverside.  His wife stays at home to take care of the girls and be the support staff for the mayor.  It was great getting to know them and we promised to either visit them in Riverside or have them come back to stay.  For Mayor Rusty, we told him that he could consider this his camp Rusty.  (You know, like camp David is for the President.)
  Finally, late that evening my brother Mark arrived with his daughter Morgan.  They had come for a visit for a few days.
  So, what might seem like a crazy weekend actually helped us to feel like home was getting back to normal.  We built our house with sweat, tears, blood and love.  It doesn't truly feel like home unless we are sharing food, drink and laughter with family and friends.  There is nothing better!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment